Hello everybody and welcome to what will hopefully be the first post of many! In this blog ill be doing articles on 80s toy lines such as Masters of the Universe, Thundercats, Bravestarr, Transformers and many more. This first article won't really be that much about 80s toys as it is me, so here's a little bit about how I became interested in 80s toys and my own collection.
I'm fifteen years old so it may come as a bit of a surprise that I know quite a bit about so many of these brands and have my own collection. I'm sure I knew what TMNT was from a very young age as well as Transformers because those two are rebooted so often. However the first time I ever came in contact with Masters of the Universe is one of my early memories. I was four years old and was at my dad's friends house playing with his son. I hardly remember anything from that visit except for that the kid had a Mer-man figure. I'm not sure if there were any other MOTU figures there but Mer-man is the only one I can remember. When I got home I tried drawing a picture of Mer-man so that my parents would know what I was talking about and hopefully get me one too. It took quite a while but eventually my dad realized what I was talking about. Although that escapade didn't result in them buying me a Mer-man, it did result in me starting to watch the original Masters cartoon, and then later the 2002 series.
Over the next few years I got many of the 2002 figures and grew to know all of the characters in the universe. Fast forward to about a year later when I got my first ever vintage toy. It was at my seventh birthday party (2011) and by then I had every one of the 2002 figures as well as the Castle Grayskull playset. Since there was never a Snake Mountain toy produced for the reboot series my parents got me the original Snake Mountain as their gift. My interest in MOTU grew into other things one of which was Visionaries. I would often watch the thirteen episodes over and over again. One year after I got Snake Mountain (On my eighth birthday) my parents got me all eight of the single packaged Visionaries figures still on the card back.
Over the next few years my interest in toys waned and I wasn't that obsessed with 80s toys for awhile. I do remember however seeing an Original MOTU Leech figure at a thrift store and getting it but for a while that was about it. My interest started back up again however when I saw a booth at a resale store was going out of business. The prices in it were marked down and they had several MOTU toys. Seeing this i got about as many as I could which included Battle armor He-Man, Hordak, Manteena, Grizzlor, Tung Lashor, Buzz Off, Evil-Lyn, Ram-Man, Blast Attak, Battle Cat, Land Shark, Stridor, Night Stalker and Roton. When I got home I got Snake Mountain out and set it up on my dresser displaying the figures and vehicles around it. Ever since then I've been steadily collecting toys from a wide variety off lines and brands. In this blog I'll be covering a wide variety of topics including figure reviews and articles about unreleased items. My next post will most likely be on the unreleased second wave of Bravestarr. Thanks to everyone for reading!
I'm fifteen years old so it may come as a bit of a surprise that I know quite a bit about so many of these brands and have my own collection. I'm sure I knew what TMNT was from a very young age as well as Transformers because those two are rebooted so often. However the first time I ever came in contact with Masters of the Universe is one of my early memories. I was four years old and was at my dad's friends house playing with his son. I hardly remember anything from that visit except for that the kid had a Mer-man figure. I'm not sure if there were any other MOTU figures there but Mer-man is the only one I can remember. When I got home I tried drawing a picture of Mer-man so that my parents would know what I was talking about and hopefully get me one too. It took quite a while but eventually my dad realized what I was talking about. Although that escapade didn't result in them buying me a Mer-man, it did result in me starting to watch the original Masters cartoon, and then later the 2002 series.
Mer-man photo from He-man.org
Over the next few years I got many of the 2002 figures and grew to know all of the characters in the universe. Fast forward to about a year later when I got my first ever vintage toy. It was at my seventh birthday party (2011) and by then I had every one of the 2002 figures as well as the Castle Grayskull playset. Since there was never a Snake Mountain toy produced for the reboot series my parents got me the original Snake Mountain as their gift. My interest in MOTU grew into other things one of which was Visionaries. I would often watch the thirteen episodes over and over again. One year after I got Snake Mountain (On my eighth birthday) my parents got me all eight of the single packaged Visionaries figures still on the card back.
Over the next few years my interest in toys waned and I wasn't that obsessed with 80s toys for awhile. I do remember however seeing an Original MOTU Leech figure at a thrift store and getting it but for a while that was about it. My interest started back up again however when I saw a booth at a resale store was going out of business. The prices in it were marked down and they had several MOTU toys. Seeing this i got about as many as I could which included Battle armor He-Man, Hordak, Manteena, Grizzlor, Tung Lashor, Buzz Off, Evil-Lyn, Ram-Man, Blast Attak, Battle Cat, Land Shark, Stridor, Night Stalker and Roton. When I got home I got Snake Mountain out and set it up on my dresser displaying the figures and vehicles around it. Ever since then I've been steadily collecting toys from a wide variety off lines and brands. In this blog I'll be covering a wide variety of topics including figure reviews and articles about unreleased items. My next post will most likely be on the unreleased second wave of Bravestarr. Thanks to everyone for reading!


Comments
Post a Comment